Need Help Applying for a course?
Funding Support for Students
If you are hoping to pursue a career in the sport or health industry, physical education or are interested in how the body works, then sports science and its related disciplines could prove to be the perfect programme for you.
All students are expected to participate in a range of theory and practical activities during their time on the course. Students will be given the opportunity to gain qualifications in a range of sport related and sports coaching disciplines aimed at increasing employability and providing them with an edge when applying to higher education.
Students may complete a one year Foundation Diploma (1.5 A'Level equivalent) in Sport and Exercise. Please speak to the course coordinator for more information.
Students will have the opportunity to undertake a number of coaching courses for example:
(**courses are subject to change**)
You will also have the opportunity to play for a number of teams at the College, including Gaelic football, soccer and netball.
The minimum requirement for entry is 4 GCSE’s (Grade A* - C or equivalent), or successful completion of a Level 2 BTEC (FIRST) Diploma. Preference will be given to those students with GCSE Science and or Physical Education.
Places on the course are limited, so it may be necessary to enhance the entry requirements in the event of over subscription.
A wide variety of assessment methods will be used throughout the course. These include external assessment (42% of total programme is assessed externally using methods such as exams and course work). The remaining 58% is assessed internally by the class tutors using methods such as written documents, practical assessments, presentations, logbooks and use of video evidence.
Successful completion of the course can lead to relevant Higher Education courses, for example, the Foundation Degree in Sport and Exercise and BSc in Sport and Exercise at South West College. The qualification can also be combined with other subjects to form part of a UCAS/ University application.
Progression routes are varied and follow different career pathways such as:
Life and Health Sciences:
**(provided the GCSE Science entry requirements are met)
Foundation Degrees and BSc programmes:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science students will be given a full insight into the sports science industry through academic and practical work-based assignments.
Mode of Study
Hours per Week
Number of Weeks
Subject to Timetable
Total Annual Fee N/A
Total Concessionary Fee N/A
Fees Payable Each Year
**Am I eligible for concessionary fees?
Pearson BTEC Level 2 First Diploma in Sport
Active IQ Level 4 Certificate in Strength and Conditioning (blended delivery) NEW for Sept 23
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science (RQF)